FIRST RECONCILIATION AND FIRST HOLY COMMUNION
PREPARATION PROGRAM 2020/2021
Welcome to the registration for your child in the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. Our parish family is delighted to assist you and your child towards their next step of initiation into the Christian life. This journey began several years ago when you presented your child for Baptism and accepted the responsibility to teach them about God’s love and to participate in the life of our Church.
We strongly encourage you to familiarize your child with the order of the Mass by attending Sunday Mass in person or virtually through our live stream. There is simply no substitute for regular active participation in the Mass. The celebration of the Eucharist is the source and summit of all that we do. The Mass calls us to be disciples of Jesus Christ, nourishes us for that task and then sends us forth to practice our faith in the coming week.
The church tells us that parents are the most important influence on a child’s spiritual development. This development is the parents’ right, dignity, and responsibility. Quite simply, there is no one better suited for this task than you!
- Your child must be entering Grade 2 in the 2020/2021 school year.
- Your child must have been baptized in the Roman Catholic Tradition and provide appropriate documentation.
- Your child must attend or watch virtually Sunday Mass regularly.**if your child has not been baptized, please call the office for further directives before registering for these two sacraments.
What’s Involved – How Does It Work?
- An online Registration Form must be submitted for each child (see link below) together with a copy of their official Baptismal Certificate.
- You and your child are required to attend Preparatory Classes and Retreat (attendance is mandatory).
Fees: Please note that there will be a fee of $30 per candidate.
Items you will need to provide for Registration:
- PHOTOCOPY of Baptismal Certificate (unless the candidate was baptized at Transfiguration)
- Completed Typed Registration Form (found below)
- Payment, for preparation program $30.00 Cash/Cheque (Payable to Transfiguration of Our Lord Parish)
**PLEASE NOTE THAT PAYMENTS CAN BE DROPPED OFF IN THE MAILBOX OUTSIDE THE OFFICE OR YOU CAN CALL TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO DROP OFF THE MONEY
REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED FOR THIS YEAR!
“The holy Eucharist completes Christian initiation” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1322).
“The Eucharist is the ‘source and summit of the Christian life’. The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1324)
If from the beginning Christians have celebrated the Eucharist and in a form whose substance has not changed despite the great diversity of times and liturgies, it is because we know ourselves to be bound by the command the Lord gave on the eve of his Passion: “Do this in remembrance of me.”
We carry out this command of the Lord by celebrating the memorial of his sacrifice. In so doing, we offer to the Father what he has himself given us: the gifts of his creation, bread and wine which, by the power of the Holy Spirit and by the words of Christ, have become the body and blood of Christ. Christ is thus really and mysteriously made present.
We must therefore consider the Eucharist as:
thanksgiving and praise to the Father; the sacrificial memorial of Christ and his Body;
the presence of Christ by the power of his word and of his Spirit.
(Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1356, 1357, 1358).